Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Trusting while in the fog...

Today I went on a hike up a local ridge (one of my Fab 40 list) that was immersed in fog. It was a 1.4 mile hike with an 800 ft. elevation gain. My body is stiff at this moment like it was way more than that. I had a great chat with the Lord while on my hike. Here is what I heard about this life and our journeys as I ascended up this ridge into the fog.

  • When you can only see a little ways in front of you...trust Him that He knows where you are going.
  • Sometimes it's better not to see the top because then you don't know how far you have to go...that way you can concentrate better on putting one foot in front of the other.
  • Do I slow down when the pitch is steep? And the path is full of rocks? Or do I keep trudging at the same pace exhausted and out of breath?
  • Sometimes there is a false summit...it appears that way in the fog...don't stop there...complete the journey...finish well!
  • The fog can be a little creepy at times...sort of that element of the unknown...where do my thoughts wander at times like this...to fear...or to His Blessed Assurance?

As I finished my hike and recovered with a yummy drink from Starbucks...I looked out and the ridge was completely out of the fog...not a hint. It made me think, like the picture below, that God's view from above is always crystal clear. He knows exactly where He taking us. I can trust in His timing and His path. The fog that may seem to inhibit me temporarily...is purposeful...and for my benefit. Even with that being said... I still can't wait until our view is crystal clear like His!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Love your thoughts Mel.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate point 4. Good advice. Where did you hike?