Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So, this is it!! I am joining a couple of girl buddies of mine located at "Six Bricks High" and "Simply my Thoughts" (just a click away on the right) and setting 40 goals to accomplish in this year of 2010. I decided this would be a fun way of celebrating my 40's! You may notice that many of my goals focus around getting ready to go to China and family fun and not too much with my wonderful husband. Well, when I shared this idea with him, we decided we would make our own "Terrific Twenty" list as a couple since we are celebrating 20 years of marriage this year. It is a very fun list...so maybe I will share that soon:O) So, drum roll......my Fabo at Forty list:
  • Coffee dates with the Lord reading through the NIV this year.
  • Coffee date with a friend 1 time a month (I must like coffee :O)
  • Lose 10-12 pounds (that's what my Wii fit said).
  • Read 2-4 books just for fun!
  • Climb Badger Mt. 4 times with a friend or friends (should probably have coffee after).
  • Celebrate Chinese New Year.
  • Have a "special date" with each of my children (this counts as 4).
  • I had a goal of incorporating more fun and joy in my life this year...I have decided to do this through our Family Fellowship which we try to do weekly...some of the ideas I want to try are scattered below in green:
  • Have a backwards dinner night (like dessert first...rock on!)
  • Have a silverware-less meal night (like spaghetti and pudding:O)
  • Have a "dress as a person from history" night and have to act out your person and others guess.
  • Have a balloon animal making night (maybe we'll take these skills to Matt's healing home?...only if we're good I guess...don't want to scare anyone.)
  • Have a juggling night (CJ got a fun CD and thought we could try it...start with scarves).
  • Have a relay race night (chubby bunnies, crackers and whistling, etc)
  • Have 6-8 classic movie nights (our kids have suprisingly really enjoyed some of the oldies, but goodies).
  • Have 2-3 person in history nights...thinking about Americans...patriotic...people who made some cool, heroic, contributions to our country...maybe with a documentary...have to consult my history buff honey on this one...anyone have some ideas?
  • Have a gummie pie contest (whip cream, gummie worms...need I say more?)
  • Celebrate Dragon Boat Festival (never tried this one?)
  • Have a Build a Biggest Sandwich you can eat contest...this one's for CJ:O)
  • Complete a family project together...thinking about putting in a zip line?
  • Write the Word on our Wall night (so my hallway needs painting and I thought it would be fun for all of us to write a couple life verses all over our wall and then paint over them sooner than later).
  • Have a family scrapbook night.
  • Try some new make-up or face product.
  • Do a family commercial and video and post it.
  • Do a "little girls" garden with my girls.
  • Do a treasure hunt night (compasses, directions, and hidden prizes).
  • Make my own "Praise" list and down load on my MP3 player...my sweet hubby always does this and I need to learn it!
  • Recycle more...that's all I'm committing too:O)
  • Download a podcast and listen to it.
  • Put a movie on my MP3 player.
  • Learn our online banking system and passwords (not really excited about this one, but need to do it!)
  • These next several relate to bringing Matthias home:
  • Memorize my colors and numbers 1-100 in Chinese.
  • Memorize body parts and some common things in a room in Chinese.
  • Memorize 20 types of food in Chinese.
  • Memorize 20 helpful verbs in Chinese.
  • This is a fundraiser idea? Climb a "Mountain for Matthias" as a family...still in the idea phase.
  • Learn 10 new praise songs on my guitar!!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Fabulous list Melissa! Can I change out of few of mine for yours?

I love your family fellowship nights, great ideas I may have to steal.

How about going to the big Chinese New Year thing at Richland High with Beth, her girls and my family?

Here is hoping I can help you and participate in many of your fabulous things!

Jamie said...

Melissa, I love your list! Those family fellowship nights are great. I'd love to see your 'terrific 20' list. Greg and I are celebrating 20 years this year as well...maybe we should come up with a list too.

Can I hike Badger Mt. with you?

Anonymous said...

Love the Fab 40's idea. Family will enjoy parts of it too. I especially like the scripture on the wall.

Getting into your accounts (username and passwords) is something I've been working on too. It's important to know.

Mel said...

Thanks for the uplifting feedback you all! We would love to attend the Richland High event Jill...when is it? And Jamie...fer sure on Badger Mt...maybe by mid Feb your knee will be able and the weather will cooperate?