Sunday, August 15, 2010

Life at New Normal...

I read a blog the other day that talked about the clash of one's own vision versus the reality of God's vision post adoption as families adjust to their new normal. It made me chuckle as I think on these past 6 weeks and reflect on a potential title of a new t.v. reality series, like "Where Old Normal and New Normal Meet...the Crossroads", or something like that anyway!

If I could tell you all the goofy things I've done because my brain has been on tilt trying to force my controls where God wants me to let go and in other areas because my body and brain are on tilt from fatigue of too many long hours, too many germs & too many loads of laundry, dishes, spills, throw-ups etc. It all adds up to one crazy new normal that has probably not really arrived yet anyway...but if you could see it all in a flashback on film it really would make you laugh!!

Here are some pics that represent some photogenic moments of our adjustment...when I had at least enough wits about me to grab a camera and shoot:O)
Bonding at the playground...this is the first day they played like this together! There have been lots of sweet moments like this...along with sibling adjustments moments...but thankfully I believe with all my heart that the positive moments out weigh the tough spots and this will only increase as time marches on:O)
A new form of shopping in our lives...fast, efficient, with snacks, and of course...restrained!!!

I must add this one because my poor hubby has had as much sleep deprivation, sickness, grumpiness and being maxed as the rest of us...BUT he still managed to bless my socks off on my birthday and make me a homemade jamocha almond fudge ice cream cake with almond slivers and dark chocolate shavings! And a cheesy smile on top of it all...thanks for being such a great friend and love of my life!


Nights, mornings, sleep...they have all been jumbled and crazy in the land of old normal meeting new...this is a glimpse into one such moment in time:O) One does what they can do to maintain sanity when sleep is at stake because after 40 years...at least some semblence of sleep is required!! If I told you all the crazy sleeping arrangements we've gone through these past weeks...you would just laugh!! I do need you to take note that both "Lao hu" (tiger) and "Dori" (Dora pillow) are the crucial security items that make new routines more palatable. Those two items have followed us more places than I would like to tell you...with just a few washings in between...but they are part of the adjustment craze that stays the same and thus brings security.
Now lest I paint a picture of too much craziness...let me end with this...Jer 18:6 "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand..." This was in my devotion reading this morning and brought me back to the main thing: God is in control and I can trust Him!!! No matter how our circumstances may appear of feel as we adjust...He is the Potter and has a most excellent work in store and the shaping is just part of the process to get to the finished product.



2 comments:

The Vickerman's said...

Yep! By the looks & sounds of it - it seems like you guys are going through the motions of getting to the "new normal" and doing great!!!It makes me chuckle cuz it wasn't too long ago that i felt the same way:)

gotta tell you though - Your refences to the Potter's hands/clay etc.. is the 2nd time i've heard that today - hmmm... wonder what that means for me - maybe i need to reevaluate to make sure i'm being the clay that He needs me to be - thanks for sharing!

will you guys be going to the reunion next weekend?

Carol said...

Such a beautiful miracle your family is.... What a blessing, adjustments and all, God is Good =)